In times of trouble, Israel advocates (especially those who are new to the cause) may ask themselves, ‘How can I help the Jewish State?’ or ‘How can I support the Jewish people?’
Here are ten ways you can support Israel and the Jews.
- Support Israel’s export market by purchasing gifts online from websites like shopinisrael.com and israel-catalog.com. Buy Israeli produce from your local supermarket.
- Shun trade unions and businesses that have signed up to the boycotts, divestments and sanctions (BDS) agenda.
- Report all instances of anti-Semitism to the Police and/or relevant authorities.
- Write to politicians and the media to express your concern about anti-Semitism, anti-Israel hostility and media bias.
- Organise and/or take part in pro-Israel marches and demonstrations. Hand out leaflets, talk to the public.
- Become familiar with Israel’s history, its ancient roots and its modern rebirth. Alan Dershowitz’s Case for Israel and Efraim Karsh’s Palestine Betrayed are excellent books.
- Use social media to make the progressive case for Israel – a democratic state where there is freedom of worship and expression, and protection of minorities.
- In conversations and in the media, highlight the Arab people’s history of political rejectionism and their refusal to live alongside the Jews in the Middle East.
- Give to charities that help Israel, such as Magen David Adom, which is Israel’s only medical emergency response service.
- Punish the “Islamoconomy” by not buying goods or services from Muslim countries. Instead of holidaying in Turkey or Dubai, holiday in a “non-Muslim” country, preferably Israel.